Mapping for dummies 1: hands-on tutorials. The very basics

Thanks guys for helping me :slight_smile:

Buen tuto, pero siempre me quedé con la duda de como hacer pendientes… Si puedes explícalo para la próxima, que esto ya lo tengo aprendido del Source.

I would love to start mapping and help the community, but atm I don’t have much patience for it… (maybe in july, etc), but I had a map idea and would like to know if there is a way of creating checkpoints (EX: 4 stages, all different, but they can be won in 1 round, or if a team dies after the 2nd checkpoint the round will restart there).

I generally advise not to think about projects that large when starting to map. Simpler, classic maps are usually more reasonable objectives that don’t bore/annoy you out of mapping.

Regarding your idea, however, it is doable. I could hack up a tutorial whenever it was needed, but I don’t think it’s a good idea to aim for it on the first go.

Thank you for the responde and that idea is more of a “aim to” project, I would need to learn a lot and possibly need a lot of help with that map since the idea is very hard for someone inexperienced as me to do alone.

It’s the same as creating level with changing location of spawn points (see previous answer). The only difference is that you transform your endings triggers in checkpoint, by just don’t killing the whole human or zombie team…

But really, it’s far better to create only one level, even more about your idea. Imagine Frostdrake with checkpoints: it’s useless cause it made it too simplier, and by this way useless. The only interest is if you do a really hardcore map, but then it will be annoying for all the non-pro players.